There seems to be an unwritten rule that new blogs must begin with a manifesto (of sorts). Why was I compelled to start a blog? Why do I think anyone will read it? I choose not to take a philosophical stance on this but rather a practical one: I have random thoughts that I want to write down and I enjoy reading other people's thoughts so it stands to reason that perhaps you might enjoy reading mine. Also, practically, it allows me to consolidate all my musing and complaining into one convenient location! To whet your appetite (or drive you away, as the case may be), here are some things I intend to write about. In addition to the customary entries about whatever I feel like, I will also write about books I read, movies I watch, concerts I attend and meals I cook. There will probably also be some nerdy things about early music.
Let's get started!
Over the weekend I read Atul Gawande's new book "Better" about performance in medicine and the quest to improve it. If you haven't read his first book ("Complications") I highly recommend it. He is a surgeon with an incredible talent for writing both emotionally and lucidly about medicine and the practical and ethical issues involved in its practice. At the end of "Better" he gives five suggestions for becoming a positive deviant (someone who's performance deviates in a positive way from others) in the field of medicine. Firstly, he says, ask questions (unscripted ones in the case of doctors). Secondly, don't complain. Thirdly, count something. Fourthly, write something. And fifthly, change. While these are all useful suggestions for people in the medical field, I am inspired to apply them to what I do musically and in general. I'm going to count the actual amount of time I spend playing music each day, practicing and rehearsing and on which instruments. I'm going to write things here. I am trying to live outside my boundaries a bit (I explained the musical Baroque to a Mormon missionary on the bus the other day and in doing so started a front-of-the-bus discussion of stylistic eras in music and art). I'm not sure I can stop complaining entirely, but I will strive for positivity in my endeavors!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment